PPS21 – Sustainable Development in the Countryside

PPS 21 – Sustainable Development in the Countryside

There are a range of types of development which in principle are considered to be acceptable in the countryside. Planning permission will be granted for an individual dwelling house in the countryside in the following cases:

    Policy CTY 2a: New Dwellings in Existing Clusters – Allows for a new house in a cluster of at least 4 buildings, at least 3 of which must be dwellings.

    Policy CTY 3: Replacement Dwellings – Will be granted for existing dwellings in various states of repair as long as walls & recognisable openings remain.

    PPS 21 Dwellings

    Policy CTY 4: The Conversion and Reuse of Existing Non-Residential – Applies to non-residential agricultural buildings that have a residential style construction i.e. masonry / stone walls with openings.

    The Conversion and Reuse of Existing Non-Residential

    Policy CTY 5: Social and Affordable Housing – The Institute welcomes the intention of PPS21 to increase the number of dwellings proposed to 14 houses adjacent to or near small settlements, or in DRCs for social and affordable housing. The onus for the delivery of this area of the policy rests with the Northern Ireland Housing Executive and Housing Associations, working closely alongside Planning Service, perhaps initially with a pilot approach to site applications to explore how CTY5 will operate in practise. However, the RTPI would also suggest to the Minister that areas of exception be designated, similar to those proposed in the English context, where planning permission can be given for small scale affordable housing development to incentivise landowners to provide land for rural housing. This should be explored by the Planning Service as a trial.

    Policy CTY 6: Personal and Domestic Circumstances – These are dwellings for people with a special need or
    circumstance, such as a carer for another person.

    Policy CTY 7: Dwellings for Non-Agricultural Business Enterprises – site specific need for a dwelling near a non-agricultural business

    Policy CTY 8: Ribbon Development – The development of a small gap/infill site within an otherwise substantial and continuously built up frontage.

    CTY 8 Ribbon Development

    Policy CTY9: Residential Caravans and Mobile Homes – CTY9 relates to the large population of migrant farm workers who are transitory in the Northern Ireland agricultural industry, a relaxation for such workers in temporary accommodation on the farm may need to be considered.

    Policy CTY10: Dwellings on Farms – One dwelling is permitted on a farm every 10 years but must be visually linked or and clustered with the main farm building group.

    CTY 10 Dwellings on Farms

    How Can We Help You?

    If you think you have a site, a farm dwelling need, a building to replace or convert and need advice, contact us and we will discuss the options available to you. We offer a free office or site consultation for clients to determine the viability of making a valid planning application.